Shortlist for Gathering of the Year 2013 Announced
Oct 21, 2013
Chambers Ireland has today (21/10/13) announced the shortlist for The Gathering Ireland 2013 Gathering of the Year category in this year’s Excellence in Local Government Awards. The special category contains two awards, one for Gatherings with less than 100 overseas visitors and one for Gatherings with more than 100 overseas visitors.
Speaking following the announcement, Ian Talbot, Chambers Ireland Chief Executive, said “We are delighted to support The Gathering Ireland 2013 by including a special category at this year’s awards to recognise the hard work that Local Authorities and Gathering committees around the country have undertaken to make this initiative such a success. The impact it has had, both in terms of economic benefits and enhanced community spirit, should not be underestimated. It is clear that this programme has been a huge success with a marked increase in overseas visitors and I would like to congratulate all of those who contributed time and resources to make that happen.”
Commenting on the shortlist, Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, Phil Hogan T.D., said “The Gathering has tapped into a huge reserve of talent and goodwill right across the country. Local Authorities and communities have come together to host a wide range of outstanding events. I believe the judging was extremely close and this is a testament to the high standard of the initiatives entered. I would like to commend all of those involved; not just on the shortlist but in Gathering events right across Ireland.”
Jim Miley, Project Director of The Gathering Ireland 2013, continued “I am delighted that Chambers Ireland has included two special Gathering awards. It is due recognition for the 5,000 and more Gathering events that have been organised throughout 2013 which resulted from a massive voluntary effort supported by Local Authorities in each city and county.”
The Gathering of the Year 2013 is a special category at the Chambers Ireland Excellence in Local Government Awards sponsored by The Gathering Ireland 2013. The Excellence in Local Government Awards are held in association with the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government and sponsored by EirGrid, The Gathering Ireland 2013 and Tipperary Crystal.
For further information contact Amy Woods, Chambers Ireland on 01 400 4319, 086 6081605 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Notes to Editor
The Gathering Ireland 2013 Gathering of the Year 2013 Shortlist
The Gathering of the Year 2013 has been divided into two sub categories: Community Gathering of the Year (for gatherings with less than 100 overseas visitors) and County Gathering of the Year (for gatherings with more than 100 overseas visitors).
The Gathering Ireland 2013 County Gathering of the Year
• Cork City Council and Cork County Council - Cork Rebel Week 2013
• Galway County Council - Aer Lingus Etihad International Hurling Festival
• Kilkenny Local Authorities - Kilkenny Tradfest
• Limerick City Council and Limerick County Council - Limerick International Fashion & Design Festival
• Mayo County Council - Manchester Mayo Gathering incorporating the Attymass & North Mayo Gathering
• Mayo County Counil - IN HUMBERTS FOOTSTEPS
• New Ross Town Council – JFK50 - The Homecoming
• Wicklow County Council - The Hollywood Fair
The Gathering Ireland 2013 Community Gathering of the Year
• Clare County Council - Celebrate Scattery Island
• Cork County Council - The Tobins of Sheepshead and The Coughlans of Ballydehob, joint Gathering
• Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council - The 'Forgotten Irish'
• Kerry County Council - Stack Clan Gathering 19-22 July 2013
• Leitrim County Council - The Leitrim Roots Festival
• Meath County Council - The Dunboyne Consort
• South Tipperary County Council - Return of the Dexter
• Waterford County Council - Power Clan Gathering
The independent judging panel is made up of respected individuals working in various fields. The panels act independently at all times. This judging panel for The Gathering Ireland 2013 Gathering of the Year is as follows:
• Dónall Curtin, President, Chambers Ireland
• Donal Enright, Principal Officer, Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
• Pat McLoughlin, Chief Executive, Irish Payment Services Organisation
• Paul McSweeney, Chief Executive Officer, Local Government Management Agency
• Tony O’Brien, Chair, Chambers Ireland Local Government Policy Council